Guest handicapper Ralph Colucci's look at thoroughbred cards today
Thoroughbred Blog – Saturday August 20th
Alabama Day. Since the Breeders Cup, former very important Grade 1 races have lost their importance but the Alabama and the Travers continue to attract the best.
Saratoga – Race 2
These 2yo turf races have been pretty rough this meetso we are going to go with 8) Van Tassel, a $120k KEESEP purchase with Rahy on the bottom and JR on its back for hot trainer Motion.
Saratoga – Race 5
No doubt Joseph Allen hoped Marine Officer would be any kind when he sent him to France. He did run well in a rich Maiden Allowance at Longchamp as a 2YO but has turned up at Saratoga as a $20k claimer. We will give him his last few and look for a price since you don’t see many Kingmambo/Sadler’s Wells crosses running for $20k
Saratoga – Race 6
Again we look to JR to do our handicapping for us with the 3) El Padrino (Pulpit/Giant’s Causeway) however the other Velasquez on 11) Rightfully So (AP Indy/Coronado’s Quest) may be the better bet at 7f with better odds to boot
Saratoga – Race 7
Tell Grant got claimed for 1/6th of his stud fee last out on a race moved to the main track and didn’t run that bad at CD in his only grass start. Might be a price
Saratoga – Race 8
Two interesting colts bracket this field. 1) Animal Spirits (Arch/Mr. Prospector) has been working well and could wire the field while 10) Fantastic Song (Lemon Drop Kid/Fantastic Light) has been working slow and may try to come from off the pace.
Saratoga – Race 9
3) Triune is undefeated on turf in non-stakes races since her two early starts as a 2YO and hasn’t been embarrassed in the added money grass events by any means. 7) Mega Dream tries her turf breeding on the grass for the first time and has Prado. Both are big odds in the M/L.
Saratoga – Race 10 – Gr 1 Alabama Stakes – 10f for 3YO Fillies
Used to be top fillies had gone 12f by now in the CCA Oaks, the 10f, but it is now one of far too many Gr1 races at 9f. Inglorious beat Canada’s best 3YO colts in fine style at 10f in the Queen’s Plate and if the track is dry might prevail here at good odds. All the 9f Gr1 & Gr2 winners look good and it will be interesting to see if the can handle the extra furlong
Saratoga – Race 11
1) Hear the Footsteps looks ready to win and round out the $500k late Pick 4
Woodbine – Race 2
2) Pearl Bay had trouble last time and does the turf to dirt switch. 1A) Holiday at Betty’s and 5) Blue Heart have both worked well but may be overbet.
Woodbine – Race 4
You don’t often see winners of $1.145mm in for a tag but 1) Seaside Retreat isfor $80k after a 3 year hiatus and a tightener. 8) Woodbourne was 8 for 17 until claimed from Mark Casse & winless since but is one of the last Danzig’s running and can hit the board.
Woodbine – Race 6
2) Honimiere tries dirt for first time for Attfield and certainly works out on it fine. 1) Perfect Shirl, Roger’s other horse in the race has a 1st and a 3rd in her two runs at WO on the poly but has won $200k of her $240k bankroll on grass. 6) Stars to Shine has yet to prove she belongs in stake company but has had 7 starts now so we shall see.
Woodbine – Race 8
7) Niigon’s Touch is a head away from undefeated on dirt and the 10f Wonder Where must have helped from a conditioning standpoint. 5) Bear it’s Time may not be able to catch her this time.
Calder – Race 9
Fillies going 7 1/2f on grass. 4) Callmethesqueeze likes the grass which she is 2 for 2 on and is lucky she wasn’t claimed 2nd start, as is 6) Nasty Rumor and 2) Battle of Love. Nasty rumor may be the best of the lot.
Calder – Race 12
Colts going 7 1/2f on grass. 7) Silver Cloud (Rahy/Silver Deputy) is perfect at the distance and should become a stakes winner today. Will have to run outside Florida to command a stud fee one day, one to watch.
Del Mar – Race 3
6) Private Affair is a long way from Peru but should be a good price.
Del Mar – Race 6
7) Castaway been working like a good thing (Street Sense/Storm Cat) but may be too short a price to bet
Del Mar – Race 8
We like 11) Halo Dolly if she can draw in from the Alsos. If not, Up & comer 9) Nereid can come right back but can expect stiff competition from 6) Celestial Kitten, and 7) Cambina.
Monmouth – Race 3
We like 4) Mine Own to win going round two turns at first asking at a nice price.
Monmouth – Race 5
2) Glass Art gets the rail, like the breeding (Hennesey/Lasting Approval) and second start of year after rough first outing.
Monmouth – Race 9
Don’t know what 5) Visionaria was running against in Italy but do like her being a nose away from undefeated and coming right back to win going longer.
Monmouth – Race 10 P Iselin
Another classy old race now just another 9f Graded stake. 3) Where’s Sterling is four now and could be trying to find out if he is Breeders Cup material being off since May.
Delaware – Race 8
6) Ha Ha Tonka likes to run short, fast and win. 4 of 5 this year, the 4YO may do just that at a nice price.
Good Luck to All